Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Baked! Pumpkin cinnamon rolls with vanilla cream cheese glaze.



Today I was going to tell you about the cupcakes with maple frosting I made a few weeks ago, a recipe that's not particularly groundbreaking but that is consistently delicious. But then, this weekend, I got bitten by the cooking-and-baking bug and whipped up two recipes from Smitten Kitchen: This baked orzo with eggplant and mozzarella and these pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

The baked pasta dish was delicious and it's going to make for a lot of leftovers, which is awesome because suddenly my after-work schedule has picked up and it's way too easy for me to resort to cereal or scrambled eggs for dinner when I get home in the evenings. But it's the cinnamon rolls that are really noteworthy. They're amazing: A pumpkin-flavored dough is spiked with ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, then stuffed with classic cinnamon-roll filling and smothered in a vanilla cream cheese glaze. The consistency is that of your regular cinnamon roll, but the flavor is pure fall. They may very well be the greatest thing I've ever baked. Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them, too

P.S. My favorite classic cinnamon roll recipe, and a quickie phyllo-dough version, too. (Seriously, isn't a fresh-from-the-oven homemade cinnamon roll one of life's great pleasures?)

2 comments:

  1. I'm typically intimidated by recipes that call for yeast, but these look so good that I might just give them a shot. They sound perfect for the Friday morning after Thanksgiving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--they're really easy and they are exceptionally good. The best part is that you can make them the night before, throw them in the fridge after the first rise and then take them out an hour before you want to bake them off the next day. Make them, make them!

      Delete