Tuesday, October 16, 2012

S'mores with pumpkin pie (!) marshmallows.


Even with the weather getting a little cooler, it's still pretty hot here during the day. But that doesn't stop me from making big pots of fall-like soup for dinners during the week, or drinking steamy mugs of hot tea and coffee whenever the mood strikes. Sometimes, though, I want a hot drink that's a little more indulgent, and that's where this hot chocolate with pumpkin marshmallows comes into play.

A little back story on the marshmallows: I'd read about the Orlando-based artisan marshmallow company, Wondermade, months ago, but had never tried any of their goodies until this past weekend, when I was picking up cupcakes for some friends at my favorite bakery and saw the pumpkin-pie flavored ones practically begging me to take them home. So I did. And then I wondered what the heck I was going to do with pumpkin-flavored marshmallows. I mean, they're delicious on their own (they taste like fall), but it seemed a waste not to use them in some other way.



So what did I do?

I made s'mores. Gooey, melty, rich s'mores with a kicked-up autumnal flavor thanks to the pumpkin-pie marshmallows. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how to make a s'more, but here's what I did: I placed a couple of squares of Valrohna milk chocolate on top of half a honey graham cracker, then placed three pumpkin marshmallows (they were small) on top of the chocolate. The other half of the graham cracker went on top of that, and then I put the whole thing in a foil packet and into the oven at 400 degrees for a couple of minutes. (Watch it carefully at that point; the line between "melted" and "burned" is very thin.) Remove from the oven, let cool for a minute and enjoy! There's something about the combination of pumpkin and chocolate that's so just good.

P.S. You can make your own pumpkin pie marshmallows really easily: Just make a batch of marshmallows and roll them in pre-bought or homemade pumpkin pie spice.

P.P.S. If you really wanted to get decadent, a drizzle of salted caramel sauce would probably be amazing on these. And hot chocolate with pumpkin-pie marshmallows would be fantastic, too.

3 comments:

  1. Also, note to self: Maybe don't use your iPhone for photos like these. Maybe think about investing in a better camera. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got some Kraft pumpkin spice marshmallows at Target. Even though I'm not a huge marshmallow fan, these definitely called out to me as I passed by. ; ) They're pretty good, and I had actually considered making smores with them, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Oh, and the salted caramel sauce sounds like the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm now regretting that I didn't make some caramel sauce...although my pants probably aren't. ;) I still have to try the pumpkin spice Hershey kisses, by the way!

      Delete