Wednesday, October 10, 2012

October.


My brilliant friend Amie posted a quote on Facebook the other day that I just love: "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." (It's from Anne of Green Gables, one of my all-time favorites.) Honestly, I could not agree more with that sentiment. Even though the temperature still tops out around 90 degrees here for most of the month, there's always a bit of a change in the air come October: The evenings are slightly cooler and less humid, the days are slightly shorter, the air smells slightly different. I love it.

October's also one of those months during which I like to recalibrateto figure out what I want to accomplish before the end of the year, to revisit old goals, to try to clean up whatever messiness currently exists in my life. So in the spirit of mental renovation, here are some things I'm hoping to do this fall:

+ Revisit my financial goals—i.e., paying off my car before the end of the year. (This is thanks in large part to my amazing friend and should-be financial advisor, Jenn, and the awesome Brittney Castro, whose Financially Wise Women website is a must-visit.)

+ Give my apartment a facelift. I can't stop looking to this beautiful home for inspiration.

+ Start running again. And by running I mean "running," because who am I kidding? I will probably always be a walker/jogger. That said, there is no better time to be outside in Florida than October-March, which means that if I'm going to start using my trusty Couch-to-5K app again, now's the time to do it. (Motivational comments appreciated!)

+ Make as many pumpkin-flavored things as possible, starting with these pumpkin doughnuts with buttermilk spiced glaze. (Antithetical to the running goal? Yes. Amazing-sounding? Also yes.)

How about you—any fall goals of your own?

Photo: Karin Mathilda 

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for running/jogging!! I've been doing yoga and walking lately...trying to do a little weight-lifting, too. It's hard to stay motivated, but you can do it! It'd be kind of fun to have a little goal check in...if you want to do something like that (maybe email each other on Sunday with the goals for the week and tweet each other when we've done something in line with the goals??) Let me know what you think. I love support systems. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to email you this afternoon, Steph! :) I love support systems, too. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking that even though summer is generally my favorite time of the year, I have been really enjoying autumn the past few years (even though that means a snowy winter is just around the corner.) I've been making lots of pumpkin and apple desserts, visiting pumpkin patches and apple orchards, and going on outings to see colorful leaves. In other words, making the most of what this season has to offer!
    I am looking to give my house a mini makeover soon, and also pay off my car early next year! I probably should think of jogging (just got my first pair of exercise pants in years) but I reckon I'll just amp up my walking now that the summer heat is well and truly over.
    So yeah, I'm right there with you on a lot of these goals. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Adrienne, I love your goals and hearing about what you've been doing so far. It's cool to see that our goals are so in line with each other's, too. Please keep me posted on how you're doing!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more. October is such a delight. I love the way it feels outside and for the change that is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Jocelyn! Glad you share the October love. :) And P.S. Love your blog!

      Delete