Thursday, October 30, 2008

feeling schmoopy* (yes, schmoopy).


dear readers, for some odd reason i am feeling incredibly lovey-dovey today. i have no idea why. maybe it's the amazing fall weather we're having (highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s--unseasonably cool for florida, even in late october) or the fact that the holidays are fast approaching. either way, i want to hug everyone. and so today i thought i'd introduce a little featurette that i'm just going to refer to as "love letters." every so often, when feeling the abovementioned schmoopiness, i'll retype one of my favorite literary love letters for you (a la that wonderful scene in sex and the city: the movie that featured beethoven's "letter to the immortal beloved").

anyway, we're starting with one of my all-time favorites: captain wentworth's letter to anne elliot in jane austen's persuasion--which is also one of my all-time favorite books, period. here goes:

"i can listen no longer in silence. i must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. you pierce my soul. i am half agony, half hope. tell me not that i am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. i offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. i have loved none but you. unjust i may have been, weak and resentful i have been, but never inconstant. you alone have brought me to bath. for you alone i think and plan. -- have you not seen this? can you fail to have understood my wishes? -- i had not waited even these ten days, could i have read your feelings, as i think you must have penetrated mine. i can hardly write. i am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. you sink your voice, but i can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others. -- too good, too excellent creature! you do us justice indeed. you believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in...f.w."

are you feeling schmoopy now, too? tell me, what's your favorite love letter?

see you tomorrow, my lovelies. xo

*ganked the word "schmoopy" from some post on this lovely blog.

{ image above from here, first spotted on {this is glamorous}. }

2 comments:

  1. I love feeling that way - awww what a cute photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really love that photo - would make an amazing print.

    ReplyDelete