Tuesday, September 16, 2008

loving: chalkboards in the kitchen.


like my love of peonies, my love of chalkboards in kitchens isn't anything novel, but i firmly believe that they -- particularly vintage-looking ones -- add something special to a room. the idea of writing with white chalk on a blackboard is so wonderfully retro to me; it takes me back to my grade-school days and makes me think of leaning over the second-floor balcony of my school, clapping erasers together and laughing at the white chalk cloud that subsequently appeared.


now, in my adult life, i barely even write letters. i mean, sure, i'll send thank-you notes or the occasional card, and i have a real fascination with people's handwriting (more on that another time), but most of my writing is done in outlook or microsoft word. and i guess that's where the root of my chalkboard-love lies: the simplicity of actually writing on one.


this post contains a few of my favorite chalkboard images -- i hope you enjoy them, too! and tell me: do you have chalkboards in your own kitchens or dining rooms? do you love them as much as i do? (i'm totally on the hunt for a cute vintage one now.)


{ images: 1. domino, 2. sfgirlbybay, 3. flickr user posidriv, 4. flickr user vintage pleasure. }

7 comments:

  1. So fun - I agree and love the use of chalkboards - in new places it's even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the chalk board paint for the kitchen walls ...so great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, chalkboard paint is wonderful! i would so use it in my kitchen if my apartment complex allowed me to paint my walls -- and in fact, that little side table has inspired me to (maybe) use it on some furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to use that chalkboard paint on something. Maybe when we have kids, that would definitely be fun for them. We have a chalkboard shaped like a cat in our kitchen/dining area. We got it for Christmas last year from Joe's mom, it's not something I would have picked out for myself but it has definitely grown on me. Right now it says "We're Getting Married 9/12/09" in pink and purple and there are little stick figures of a bride a groom drawn in green :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chalkboard in the kithcen totally reminds me of my grandmother's kitchen and my other grandfather's kitchen. I LOVE having chalkboards, especially in the kitchen. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely something I want for my next kitchen. My current kitchen has no wall space. I love the laid-back yet organizational aspect of a chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have one in our kitchen that's vintage inspired...love it!

    ReplyDelete