Monday, March 28, 2011

the weekend + committing to...


happy monday, everyone--and happy last week of march! (seriously, can you believe it's almost april?) how were your weekends? i hope they were great, and that you're going into this week relaxed and rested.

i had a fantastic weekend--despite some lingering stomach-bug stuff, my mom and i spent lots of quality time together wandering around sarasota. we had lunch and dinner at two of my favorite sarasota restaurants on friday (and in between, she hung out at the beach while i worked), and then spent all day saturday wandering around downtown--we went to the farmer's market, had lunch at the sweetest little cafe (you can see my yummy baked oatmeal, above), stopped by our favorite orchid nursery/gift shop (mom bought herself a gorgeous orchid and pot, and me the turquoise ceramic pot and succulents above, which i love--it's all so cheery!), and got frozen yogurt. there was a little bit of a scuffle toward the end of her visit, when she got a flat tire and i realized i'd locked my keys and both of our cell phones in my apartment, but it actually ended up being a pretty hilarious way to end her time here.

then, saturday night, my friend k. and  i got to go see the new york-based kate weare company perform two dance pieces, bridge of sighs and bright land, at the historic asolo theater on the ringling museum campus. kate weare is known for its demanding physical performances against a very spare background, and it was really interesting to watch both of the pieces the company performed. bright land, which was set to old-timey music that made me think of grapes of wrath and the 1930s, was my favorite, but both were excellent and i'm still thinking about them today.

and as for this week--well, here are my little goals. please share yours, too!

+ i'm recycling a lot of last week's health goals, since i was down for the count again thanks to whatever random stomach bug decided to make itself at home in my system, so, yes: eat healthily (and mostly vegetarian), exercise, sleep early.
+ pick up a new book. (any recommendations?)
+ clean out my kitchen closet. so boring and probably so dusty, but i have to do it.
+ spend as much time outside as possible, whenever possible.
+ start cultivating a work wardrobe style. (more on this later in the week.)

and you? tell me, and i'll see you back here tomorrow! xoxo

photos by me

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like some good goals! Hope you have a great week (and feel fully recovered!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to read more about your work wardrobe. I get really motivated about dressing a little "older" and then seem to lose it about mid-week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, jane and stephanie! (p.s., steph, i am so with you on that--hence why i need to ramp up the effort!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lovely time with your mom! I had a lovely time with mine last week, I miss her dearly!

    This week I am committing to keeping a clean house, getting exercise in whatever way I can and scheduling our house hunting weekend as smart as possible. I don't want to get too overwhelmed, now!

    ReplyDelete