Monday, August 9, 2010

the weekend + committing to...



happy monday, friends! did you have a good few days off? i had an excellent -- quiet, but excellent -- birthday weekend with my friends and family. on saturday, i went to my lovely friend and bride-to-be s.'s bridal shower, then spent the rest of the day with one of my sarasota b.f.f.s just hanging out, and then on sunday, my mom, aunt, and cousins came down and brought the above-pictured treats.

a little back story: my aunt, uncle, and cousins -- who are visiting my parents and grandmother right now from iowa -- lived in japan for the past year because my aunt, who is an english professor and also a genius, got a fullbright scholarship that sent her to tokyo. the items in the first photo are japanese souvenirs: a pink coffee cup from mister donut, which no longer exists in the u.s. but which apparently has quite a japanese following, and a pretty dish towel that perfectly matches my aesthetic. i love them both. the second photo is of totally yummy-looking cupcakes from orlando's blue bird bake shop, which i'm so excited to try. it's honestly a miracle i haven't devoured them already, considering the amount of sugar i've consumed this weekend.

which brings me to this week's committing to: in a word, detox. this week, i really need to take a big step back and look at what exactly i'm putting in my body and whether or not it's worth it. i'm not sure if i've mentioned this before, but over the past year and a half i've lost about 40 pounds, and i'm happier and healthier than i've ever been in my life. but something, lately, is sending me into a bad-eating spiral, and while i haven't really gained weight (at least not yet), i feel mushy and kind of out of control. as is to be expected, i think this is much more a psychological issue than a physical one -- i've always been an emotional eater; the trick right now is to figure out why i'm doing it again. and i think working hard to maintain the good habits i've developed over the past year is a good way to clear my head and get at what may be bothering me.

that being said, i'm not going to deprive myself. my friend a. is taking me out for a belated birthday dinner this week, my friend s. wants to do the same sometime this week, and saturday is my "belated-birthday-slash-summer-friend-get-together" party, so there'll actually be plenty of little indulgences -- it's just the in-between that i need to work on. sometimes we all just need to restart, you know?

so that's my goal for the week. what are you committing to over the next seven days? please share! xoxo

p.s. happy, happy 50th birthday to my wonderful aunt linn! hooray for august babies. i love being a leo.

photos by me.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! 40 pounds, that's awesome! I know what you mean about feeling mushy. I realized over the weekend that I have put on quite a bit of weight since last year and I really am not feeling very healthy. So this week I started on a plan to get back to where I was a year ago and get even healthier. Hooray for feeling good! xo.

    ReplyDelete