Tuesday, August 13, 2013

La Jolla.






La Jolla is what really made me fall in love with San Diego, because if I'm being completely honest, the marina area around our hotel reminded me a lot of Sarasota, just with way better weather. But driving into La Jolla, with the Pacific Ocean as our backdrop, was a completely new experience for me. I've never been to the West Coastthe farthest west I've been is Denver, actuallyand I was determined to dip my toes into the Pacific on this trip. La Jollawith its stunning (and ice-cold) blue water, sunbathing seals (!!) and sandy cliffswas the perfect place to do that, and this may sound cheesy, but standing on the beach with rolled-up jeans and my toes in the water was one of those perfect indelible moments for me. I loved it.

Afterward, we drove around the main shopping area, admiring the adorable stores and restaurants and the gorgeous homes snuggled  into the sides of the hills. La Jolla sort of brought to life the California I imagined, and if I could make living there a reality, I would do it in about two seconds.

P.S. I am dumb and thought La Jolla was pronounced "La Jall-a." It is in fact pronounced "La Hoya." Hooray for factoids! Oh, and that's my mom and me in the picture above. xoxo

11 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! La Jolla is one of my favorite places in CA. When I first moved cross country we arrived there before the moving company did with our furniture, so on our first day there we fled our empty home and road tripped to San Diego. Still one of my favorite memories to this day. There is just something about randomly moving somewhere new and exploring. Unrelated, but I also loved how many national parks CA has. The desert ones are to die for. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to go back! And I love your first-day-in-CA story. So awesome. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures Megan!! Looks like such an exciting trip! Have yet to go to La Jolla (though I have been to Southern California). Will need to make sure that we go there next time we are out that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! Yes, you must go to La Jolla next time you're in Southern California--it is so beautiful there. What a great trip! xo

      Delete
  3. The seals were my absolute favorite part of La Jolla! Also, my college friend who I was visiting their on Spring Break - well her parents drove us up to their makeout point from highschool back when they were kids one night and it was just so sweet and incredible.

    SD rules.
    eileen ragan | leaner by the lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU rule! And yes, La Jolla is just fantastic. So glad you had such a great experience there!

      Delete
  4. Nice photos! I've only been to SD once and it was for work. Boooo. Did get to the beach one night though - yay!

    Looks like you had a blast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, I was pronounced it La Jall-a too (I'm pretty sure I have heard people call it that more than once!) so I am glad that I can now amend my ways and correctly pronounce the name of this beautiful place. Those purple flowers in the first picture are so charming, and what a sweet pic of you and your mom! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

    Alicia / Jaybird: Home in Motion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had NO idea and I've definitely heard other people call it that, too! I think it's a pretty common mispronunciation. Thanks so much for this nice comment!

      Delete