Monday, July 29, 2013

Signature scent: An update.


A few months ago, I wrote about my quest to find a "signature scent"—a perfume I loved so much that I could wear it every day. I also mentioned that I'd been wearing Dior's J'Adore in the meantime, since I'd been gifted a full-size bottle of it at a charity event and it functioned as a perfectly suitable signature scent stand-in. (And yes, using fancy free perfume while searching for a signature scent is definitely a first world problem.) And because I know you're on the edges of your seats wondering whether my perfume dilemma has been solved, I'll tell you right now that no, it hasn't. (Cue sad trombone.)

I've always been attracted to scents that remind me of Florida—orange blossom, for example, or gardenia. I've been dying to get my hands on a sample of this Coqui Coqui orange blossom perfume ever since I read about it on The Littlest Blog awhile back, but I've also been hesitant to take the plunge and spend money on it because I don't know if I'll like it, or that it won't fade or smell weird on my skin or give me a headache (which has been known to happen).

So I'd kind of resigned myself to the idea of using the J'Adore and that being the end of it, until I happened to spritz on some of Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia the other day while out shopping with my friend Kate. You guys, I sprayed it on, rubbed my wrists together, and then proceeded to sniff myself every 15 minutes or so for the rest of the night. The gardenia scent is so true, and best of all, it lingered for a good long while. The lovely woman at the perfume counter was nice enough to gave me a sample to take home, so I can use it for the next few days before deciding if I want to buy it, but trust me, it's really great. Signature scent found? Finally, finally, the answer may be yes.

Any scents you're loving lately? Please share—I'd love to hear!

Photo: My own. 

8 comments:

  1. I went on a similar quest earlier this year! (While traveling in Europe, though I left Sarasota last fall to spend a year in Nigeria. So take comfort that first world problems can strike even in developing nations :)

    Anyway, I asked around for suggestions and have found two that I just loved. I was looking for something strongly feminine but with masculine undertones: a little hard to place, warm and sensual and strong.

    I tried in Spain and France, even going to Grasse, but eventually found success in England. The trick for me was to find small but venerable perfume houses and then tell them what I was looking for and experiment. Plus I did some research on the classifications of perfumes, so I knew some more of the lingo and what I wanted once I started looking in person.

    I found two: one by Jo Malone, who handles that area of strong scent beautifully. It's in the other room, but I think it is a mix of amber and jasmine? And then the other one is by Penhaligon's (perfumier to the royal family!), called Zizonia. It's a vintage fragrance, which is another interesting option for unusual scents, and is an oriental that was designed in the 1930s, lost, and then recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment! I love the story of how you found your signature scent, and I'm going to look up Penhaligon right now--what an amazing history. Thank you so much for your post, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I have to smell that one! I've been wearing Cleopatra by Tocca a lot this summer. It like it for a lot of the reasons you list here and it really does linger, too!

    Glad to hear you found something you're excited about!

    eileen ragan | leaner by the lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll have to sniff that one next time I come across it! Cleopatra is such a great name for a perfume, too.

      Delete
  3. I am all about having a signature scent. Both times that I lived in France, I spent a lot of time in Sephora during the year, trying out perfumes. Now, the scent I picked each year reminds me of that year in France. My current signature scent is Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine- it has a very orange-forward scent, with musky undertones. Perfect for Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that picking out scents reminds you of France! What a wonderful memory. And Orange Sanguine sounds lovely and, yes, so summery--I love anything with citrus in it. :)

      Delete
  4. I love Clinique Happy and Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbomb. Neither is overly sweet, and both are...cheerful? Can scents be cheerful? But I'm in the market for a "sexier" scent as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scents can absolutely be cheerful! Keep us updated on your search for a sexier perfume, too.

      Delete