Monday, May 2, 2011
the weekend + committing to...
wow, sunday certainly ended with some big news, didn't it?
it feels weird to write this post without commenting on that news -- i stayed up late watching cnn and reading the new york times, and i don't really want to say anything more, other than that i truly hope that this information brings some sense of peace and/or closure to the families of those who perished on 9/11 attacks, and that i'm so grateful for the sacrifices the members of our military make, no matter my opinions about the leadership choices that require them to make those sacrifices.
and now on to our regularly scheduled programming:
five fun things from the weekend:
1. jane eyre. such a good book-to-film adaptation -- perfect casting, i thought -- and catharsis for me to read the book (one of my top five favorites of all time) again.
2. long bike rides around my hometown. huge old oak trees, beautiful houses, pretty lakes -- why don't i have a bike in sarasota, again?
3. perfect weather. i thought florida had decided to go straight from winter to summer, but this weekend was just right -- cooler at night, warm during the day and, best of all, not humid at all.
4. dinner with friends; brunch with mom; cupcakes from my favorite bakery, bluebird bake shop. i love good food. (related: my mom also gave me the most recent issue of bon appetit, and i can't wait to try some of the recipes from it -- so many of them look really easy and, better yet, delicious. who wants to come over for dinner?)
5. time with family, especially my brother, who i don't see nearly as often as i'd like and who i always miss a lot.
five commitments for the week:
1. make this smoothie, because i really, really, really need to eat more vegetables and this looks like an easy way to squeeze some in.
2. take bridge walks in the evening. the perfect after-work decompressor, especially when the weather's like it is right now. plus, these days, you can't beat the way the sunlight shines over the water at that time.
3. try harder to focus. my mind's been all over the place lately (though not necessarily in a bad way).
4. tackle and finish some freelance work -- and stay organized while doing it.
5. be kind. to everyone.
photo by mister sullivan