Sunday, May 8, 2011

happy mother's day.


i know i usually don't post on sundays, but i wanted to share this photo of my mom and me (circa 1984) and send out happy mother's day wishes to everyone. my mom and i couldn't be more different, personality-wise -- she's very calm and stoic, and i get worked up easily and am very emotional -- and we certainly have had our share of arguments, particularly during my bratty high school years, but i'm happy to say that we're also very close, and that she's one of the smartest, strongest women i know. we talk on the phone almost every day and she always knows what's going on in my life. it's such a nice feeling.

there are so many things that stand out to me about my mother, but i think my favorite is that she always encouraged me to do exactly what i wanted to do with my life. that's not to say that she didn't have high expectations -- she did, and she does -- but i was always free to make my own choices about what i wanted to be and where i wanted to be it. and for that, as well as for everything else, i am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment