Friday, May 14, 2010

what are you doing this weekend?


happy friday, everyone! what are you up to this weekend? i'm going to be relaxing, spending time with friends new and old, maybe seeing a movie, and cleaning. but before i start doing all of that, i thought i'd tell you a little story.

my aunt is a dance teacher. i've written about her before; she is one of the most talented, complex people i know, and i'm glad that, at this point in my life, i can call her one of my close friends. some of my favorite growing-up stories center around her and spending summers with her and my grandparents in scranton, pennsylvania.

and you know, i feel like, as a dance teacher, part of the job is to cultivate a sense of magic. i mean, as a little girl, is there anything more fantastic than twirling in a pink tutu and pink ballet slippers with a big, floppy bow in your french-braided hair? i always loved doing that. and i loved my aunt would bring out her bucket of "magic dust," which was nothing more than a lavishly decorated pink pail filled with air, but to me felt realer than anything else in the world. i loved grabbing handfuls of magic dust and pretending i could feel it sifting through my fingers.

this weekend, i'm going to try to find a little magic. i hope you find some, too.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Megan - oh this made me well up with tears! You are so right - dance teachers should bring some magic! And the fact that you have memories like that which you can now give to another child is just a fantastic karmic circle! Love it when that happens! L x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. I love that your aunt did something like that...clever and sweet. It made your memories of that time even better than they would have been without that special touch.

    Have a great weekend, Megan!

    ReplyDelete