Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Baked! Puffed pancakes (aka Dutch babies).



Have you ever made puffed pancakes, or Dutch babies? I love them. They are so easy to make, they taste so good (the flavor is kind of like a crepe and a pancake got married) and they are so fun to watch as they puff up in the oven. Even better: The customization options are endless. You can top Dutch babies with butter and maple syrup, like you would a traditional pancake; or confectioners' sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice; or slices of fresh strawberries and bananas (my fave)—whatever your little heart desires.

New Year's Day (and my mild hangover, ahem) seemed like the perfect excuse for a lazy breakfast filled with these pillowy treats, so I whipped up a batch and was so glad I did. Here's my recipe, which is a mish-mash of a bunch of others I've seen online, in case you want to make a Dutch baby yourself:

2 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp good vanilla extract
Dash of salt
Dash of cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. While the oven is preheating, melt butter in a nine-inch cake pan, glass pie plate or cast-iron skillet. Remove from oven when butter is melted.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Pour batter into the pan with the melted butter and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until pancake has puffed and the edges begin to turn golden brown. Serve immediately with the topping of your choice. Makes one pancake.

Photo: My own.

No comments:

Post a Comment