Wednesday, February 29, 2012

bow-ed over.


over the past few months, i've been happier with the decor of my home than i have since i moved into my apartment almost three years ago. i feel like there's a unified design theme, and while there are certainly spots that need work -- the awkward wall space by the front door, for example, or the sliding closet doors onto which the previous tenant inexplicably painted odd pictures of kittens -- i'm generally quite comfortable hanging out at home these days. 

but that being said, i've already started putting together a wish list for the next place i move to. a water heater that gives me more than 10 measly minutes in the shower without turning the water ice cold is at the top of the list; a dishwasher is a close second. wood floors would be nice, too. so would my own washer and dryer. and i think i'd like my next home to feel a little more grown up and androgynous -- i want plenty of quirky details, of course, but i think a more streamlined approach is something i'm slowly coming around to. 

this wallpaper by emily isabella for hygge and west, for me, hits that quirky/grown-up mark almost perfectly. i love the gold bows against the dark gray background, and i think this paper would be perfect and special in a powder room or a closet, even if just on one wall. 

how do you feel about wallpaper? do you use it in your home? (i sometimes frame samples, but have never actually used it...yet!) how would you describe your design style?

p.s. please excuse the terrible pun in the title of this post. i couldn't help myself.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Megan,

    I too am already planning the design of my next place!! Love the wallpaper! I'm dreaming of a new dining room table. I live in apartment now so it would be great to own the next place so I can do more with it. I've been as creative with my furnishings, etc. as I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, susan! planning out the design of a new places is so fun, isn't it? even if it's a while down the road?

      Delete
  2. I don't like wallpaper, only because I had to remove (slowly and painfully) yards of old fashioned jungle print paper when I bought my current home a few years ago. That put me off the stuff for good, I'm afraid. ; ) I do think a great, modern pattern could lend a lot of character to a home though. (I love talking about home decor!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, adrienne! but yikes, the removal process you went through sounds painful...

      Delete
    2. It was a bit painful. Think scoring tools, scrapers, and wallpaper glue remover gel. But those items made it easier, for sure, and it was all so worthwhile in the long run.

      Delete
  3. I, for one, would like to see a picture of your sliding door kittens!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! i think that can be arranged. i'll take one later and post a link to the pic! :)

      Delete