Monday, December 27, 2010

the (holiday!) weekend + committing to...


 happy monday, friends -- if you celebrate, did you have a good christmas? i hope so. and if you don't celebrate, i hope you had a lovely weekend.

i definitely did: i baked a lot, ate a lot, read a lot (specifically, this book -- devoured in a day), and spent tons of time with my family, which was exactly what i wanted. gifts were a very secondary thing for me this year, and it felt really good to be free from that pressure (although i'd be remiss if i didn't mention the really lovely things i received. thank you, friends and family).

i'm kind of kicking myself that i didn't take some extra days off work this week -- not for any real reason, but i just feel like i'd like even more time: more time with my extended family, more time to reflect back on what has been a bit of a tumultuous year, and more time to reflect forward on what i'd like 2011 to be.

so with that said, as i think about these things (all of which i'll share with you in a big "committing to..." post next week), here are my little commitments for this last week of 2010. the theme seems to be quiet, huh?

+ keep doing this.
+ detox from christmas, aka cookiefest of the century. do a little yoga, a little pilates.
+ lay low for the first part of this week. i think thursday, friday, and saturday are going to be pretty celebratory, so quiet time today, tomorrow and wednesday seems necessary.

what are your goals for the week?

p.s. i highly recommend that you read this beautiful post by dominique browning, who writes a gorgeous blog and also just happened to be the reviewer of the book i linked to above. i have always loved butterflies, and her thoughts on them -- and their relation to us as human beings -- are so lovely and touching, especially as we say goodbye to this year.

image by kate pulley

1 comment:

  1. I'm kicking myself, too, for not taking more time off. My husband's company is closed all this week (he has 10 days off in a row!) so I'm pretty bummed he's at home without me.

    This week I'm doing some serious soul searching because SOMETHING is off and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. So I plan to get it sorted as quickly as I can. xo

    ReplyDelete