Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Baked! Almond butter cookies with sea salt.



I know some people hate Gwyneth Paltrow with an intense burning passion, but I am firmly in the Love Her camp (even when I'm rolling my eyes at some of the things she says). In fact, I'm even more firmly in the Love Her camp after seeing Iron Man 3 this weekend, because it was great.

But I digress.

A few weeks ago, when I read about the release of GP's cookbook, It's All Good, I was intrigued. After reading as much of the "Look Inside!" portion of the book as was available on Amazon and getting a decent feel for what all the recipes would be like thanks to the goop newsletter, I bit the bullet and bought it. And you know what? I'm can totally get behind the book's philosophy (clean, healthy eating; no gluten or refined sugar), and the recipes are legitimately tasty. I've tried the millet "falafel" and while I had some issues with the falafel staying together (I'll share the recipe once I've figured out how to make that part of it work), they were delicious. Same with these almond butter cookies, which have zero sugar in them—just almond butter, pure vanilla extract, maple syrup, gluten-free flour (I use Cup4Cup) and flaky sea salt. You don't even have to turn on the mixer, if you don't want to. I didn't.

Here's the recipe, if you'd like to try them yourself. They are seriously super-easy; plus, I actually ended up halving the recipe because I didn't have enough maple syrup and they still turned out great. One tip: Do not forego the sprinkle of coarse salt on top. It really puts these over the edge.

P.S. My favorite almond butter. 

10 comments:

  1. These sound really really good! Off to go check out the recipe now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good! And actually, they taste better the second day. Hope you love them if you make them!

      Delete
  2. These sound quite tasty! The sea salt sounds like a must! Will have to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sea salt definitely takes them over the top! I used regular old sea salt, but I'm going to get some flaky Maldon salt soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Omg yum. Why do people hate her? I've never understood that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it, either (same with the Anne Hathaway stuff). There's a difference between finding someone annoying and hating them, you know? I think we throw that word around too casually.

      But anyway, these cookies are awesome and so is GP's cookbook. Hope you love 'em if you make 'em!

      Delete
  4. I am definitely in the Love Her camp too! But I read recently about these behind-the-scenes cookbook authors. Apparently, when someone so famous (like GP) produces a cookbook, there are really a ton of chefs behind the scene, creating and refining the recipes. Interesting, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally believe that--and yes, it IS interesting to think about. I'm just glad the recipes in this book are good! And glad you're in the Love Her camp with me.

      Delete
  5. I have all these things and want to make these NOW. Cookies have been on my mind lately (read: I caved and bought the very un-clean Nilla wafers last night). These guys would be a way better substitute than that junk (Nillas, I still love you).

    Thanks for passing along the recipe! More of this, please! You gotta post that shrimp curry on here for the rest of the world!

    -Eileen
    www.leanerbythelake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! Coming up tomorrow is a recipe for dairy-free, sugar-free, egg-free ice cream--definitely trying to post more of the healthy sweet stuff. I think I need to make friends with dates...

      Delete