Thursday, June 7, 2012

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head.


If you live anywhere in the state of Florida, chances are you've gotten drenched at some point in the last 24 to 48 hours. Case in point: I was picking up my lunch yesterday and got caught in sideways rain and wind so intense that it turned my umbrella inside out and then made my car shake while I was stopped  at a red light. ("Is there a tropical storm I don't know about?" I wondered--quite seriously--several times prior to getting safely back inside my office building, albeit with sopping-wet shoes, pants, shirt and hair.)

It was so windy, in fact, that it reminded me of the time I thought I was stuck in a car wash and decided to climb out of the car while the car wash was still on. Oh yes, I did do that, and it's a tale that prompted my mother, when I told her about it, to roll her eyes and wonder why she'd spent so much money on my college education.

But anyway! That's a story for another time. Back to the one at hand.

Yesterday was the worst of the rain, at least so far, and when I'd gotten inside and thrown myself into my desk chair, relieved to be in a place where water was not falling from the sky, I looked down at my soaked leather heels--boohoo!--and thought, "I should really get a pair of rain boots." I had a similar thought last Friday, when it was also raining, and when I was hopping around outside--in a pair of gold shoes, no less--like a maniacal fairy, trying to cross the street while at the same time trying to avoid the huge, deep puddles of water that had accumulated as a result of the City of Sarasota's very bad drainage system.

So: rain boots? Yes or no--and specifically yes or no for someone who lives in  Florida, where the weather is temperamental? It'll be sunny one moment, pouring down rain the next, then sunny again. Often, it will rain heavily in one place and not another, and those places can be as close as your front and back yards. Also, you can see rain coming here; if you're in the car, for example, you can often see the sheets you're about to drive into long before you actually reach them. (Do you experience that where you live, too? A friend of mine who lives up north said it's not like that there. Is it?)

And if the answer is still yes, what kind? There's the iconic Hunters, of course (and I love the coral color, above, although I'd probably go for black or olive green), but they are expensive--as are Kate Spade's, which are adorable and feature bows. Target makes cute ones, but I'm afraid my friends and family will disown me if I bring home another polka dot item. Do you wear rain boots? Is the buy/wear ratio worth the investment? Pleas share.

(And yes, I realize I just wrote a whole post about rain boots--I live a wild and crazy life, I tell you.)

Photo via

10 comments:

  1. I don't wear rain boots (and I don't carry an umbrella either, for that matter) because thrain heavy enough to warrant them is brief and occasional here. But those coral boots are cute, and if you think they will get good use where you live, then maybe go for it? : ) That said, I don't know how expensive they are, and I think I'd like to keep it that way. Haha. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're way too expensive for someone who probably wouldn't use them that much now that she thinks about it, but who really wishes she had them for days like the one described above. ;)

      Oh, first-world problems! Ha!

      Delete
  2. I love how you made even a post about rain boots adorable and fun to read:) That said, I do have a pair of Hunters (thank you, sale at Zappos) that get some minor use. When I’m out running errands in a downpour, I am always happy I made the splurge. However, I’m not sure how they would work for a commute. I also like the half-calf size better and think they may be more practical (and they come in a fabulous aubergine color)!

    I’ve also seen a couple of cute rain-proof ballet flats (J. Crew and K. Spade each make a version). Would they be a good compromise? They are cute enough to wear with a work outfit, small enough to throw in a tote, and water-proof to…. wait for it… boot. (I’m so sorry; we’ve been catching up on How I Met Your Mother episodes!)

    Please let us know what you choose! I’m thinking the flats may make their way into my wardrobe sometime soon if it doesn’t stop thunder-storming up here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ame! So sweet. And really good to know about the short-size hunters--I have, like, thunder calves (no, really) that often can't fit into normal-sized boot shafts.

      Thanks for the heads up about the flats, too--those sound like a great option. Let me know if you buy some! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I bought hunters a few years ago, for Glasto, but I managed to squeeze my feet into the kids sizes – they were £20 instead of £60 so it seemed the obvious thing to do. The only problem is that everyone can tell they are kids – they’re really short and have reflectors on them – still, they’ve been invaluable over the last 3 years! One day I want the bright purple adult ones.

    And we don’t get rain like that here. We get ‘all encompassing, freezing cold, it’s June, not December, why have you rained all week’ rain here. I loved the Florida rain I experienced, torrential but gone in an hour and dried out fully in 2. It was a little mental, but fun none the less – maybe only so if you’re on a holiday and drinking in Wet Willies is acceptable to get through it though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I wish I could squeeze my feet into kids' Hunters! That would be awesome. I love that yours have reflectors on them.

      And your description of the Florida rain is perfect. That's exactly how it is.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you got out in the middle of a car wash - too funny!! I have a pair of black Hunters, and while they're definitely pricey, they've lasted for several years now (and still in good in shape!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally did! I'll have to type up that story some day. Thanks for the tip about the Hunters, Gloria!

      Delete
  5. Weather like last week's is why I always keep a pair of black rubber flip flops in my car. They're super cheap and you can't ruin them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So smart, Susan! I also think the Florida travel kit needs to include a spare bathing suit and a spare sundress or pair of shorts.

      Delete