Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Entryway seeks TLC.

Internet, I am about to show you something that is not too pretty.

It's my entryway. Actually, calling it an entryway is a bit of a lie--it's really my front door and the space that surrounds it.



Reader, it is ugly.

The thing is, as I've mentioned before, I live in a small apartment. It's big enough for me and the cats--and certainly an upgrade from the studio I lived in prior to moving here--but there's not a lot of room for stuff. Which is, actually, totally fine with me, aside from this entryway dilemma. I just want it to be prettier, you know?

I think the desk is OK where it is--prior to it being there, a chair lived in that space--but it's that mirror-hook area to the left of the front door that's bugging me. My dream would be to put some sort of little catch-all-type piece of furniture there, but the space is so narrow that incorporating something like that means people walking through the door would slam right into it. I'd prefer to preserve my friends' kneecaps and avoid that.

Chalkboard paint is something I've wanted to incorporate into my home for awhile now, and I'm wondering if painting a swath of that wall with it--and framing it somehow--would help. Actually, I'm also wondering if I should paint the door itself. Or--on a completely different note--if I should start the process of creating a big gallery wall and have it stretch all the way over to the front door.

Basically, I'm at a loss. Any advice?

P.S. On a separate-yet-related note, I bought this print recently--I've wanted it for years--and I love it. It's hanging in my bedroom now and is decidedly not ugly. Unlike my entryway.

9 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the chalkboard paint, but I also like the gallery idea. Painting the door a lighter color would be great too, as I think it would give the impression of a larger, more open space.

    I love this kind of stuff, so I'll give it some thought (and some pinterest and magazine searching) and let you know if I come up with something good! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I posted about this. Thank you so much for the good advice! Yay!

      Delete
  2. I agree with A. Painting the door the same color as the walls (or a slightly lighter or darker shade) would expand the space visually, and the door wouldn't seem so obstrusive. I like the idea of a gallery wall - it will make a statement about your style as soon as people enter, rather than looking at random coats and bags. I also think a very large mirror or a series of smaller, framed ones would make the space sparkle. Moving the desk would open it up, too, and you could put a nice coat rack there.

    Have fun with your new space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I was thinking a coat rack would be good for hanging things. Were you considering painting the walls? I always think paint works wonders. Ok, am I thinking about this too much?! ; )

      Delete
    2. Love this idea! Thank you, Barbara! You guys are awesome.

      Delete
  3. You could always move the coat'y area to the back of the door?
    I also saw this really cute entryway desk area on Pinterest but i'll be damned if i can find it now. anyway, it had a desk with super cute storage boxes in a wickery type fabric underneath it - but that would only work if it's a show desk not a typing desk? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a show desk -- I'll have to scour Pinterest for entryway ideas, too. Thanks, E.!

      (I am also, obviously, ignoring the hideous shag carpeting...that's a post for another time.)

      Delete
  4. Megan,

    I think what you are lacking is bold color. Yup, that's what I'm thinking. I am particularly taken with red lately. Don't know why, but it really cheers me and brings life to a room. So here is a mirror that would make a big difference in that space: http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5419999/il_fullxfull.176020564.jpg...sorry, but i don't know how to actually copy the picture here, just the url.

    and wouldn't it look great next to your door if it were painted red? Red doors are symbols of welcome too, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think that simply painting the door would make the biggest impact. (And for cheap!) I'm kinda confused though... Does the door swing out?

    My tiny living room space only had room for a couch, so I just bought this for additional seating. So cute and on sale! Might work well in that area... http://www.target.com/p/canary-storage-bench-collection/-/A-11941682

    ReplyDelete