Monday, June 17, 2013

I need a vacation.






Friends, after a week of stress and then a week of sickness, I feel like I am in need of a vacation. And not a staycation, mind you: An actual change-of-scenery, real-live vacation. I was planning a little getaway for my 30th birthday in August, but my brother's getting married in San Diego right around the same time (like, four days beforehand, to be specific), which means that "little getaway" has become "major family travel event." So in September, I'm making ACS take a belated birthday trip with me to some beautiful Southern localeSavannah or Charleston, most likely (although Nashville also has slowly been creeping up both of our respective "must-visit" lists, I think).

Until then, though, I'm wondering if there's a weekend I can sneak away sometime in July. Asheville looks like a fun city, as does New Orleans (though there's no way in hell I'm going there at the height of summer), and I have cousins in Atlanta who, actually, will have just had a new baby that I'd love to meet. Two of my best friends live in Boston and New York, as well, and I'm dying to get up that way to see them, so the options are definitely there—I just need to make the plans. Where have you guys traveled lately? Do you ever feel the need to just get away?

P.S. Savannah and Charleston travel recaps, respectively.
P.P.S. The photos above are from Bruges, Belgium. Let's not even talk about how badly I want to get to Europe. 35th birthday in Paris or bust!

All photos via This is Glamorous

5 comments:

  1. UGH yes to getting away. And I feel you after a week of being sick and stuck in the apartment. I'm ditching Chicago for the lake house next weekend and we've got plans for Portland in August! I say book a trip and go with your gut and whatever will be the least stressful and most relaxing and enjoyable for YOU.

    <3 eileen
    www.leanerbythelake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I possibly can (funds and vacation time permitting), I AM just going to do it. Getting away is so refreshing! I'm so excited for your lake house weekend and excited for/jealous of your Portland trip! Can't wait to hear all about it. Thanks for the good advice, as always. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I'm feeling he same way about needing to get away. Like, really feeling it lately. In September it will have been 2 years since my last real vacation (as in full week off from work, not being sick). I've been so low on funds that a trip just has not been in the clouds for me, and I'm not entirely sure there will be one in the near future. There is talk of visiting my grandfather for his 80th birthday in Pennsylvania in the fall, and my best friend and I are talking about a California road trip during her Christmas break in December.

    I'm with Eileen- just go ahead and book a trip. Half of the benefit of a vacation is the planning and anticipation.

    I love those pictures of Belgium! I've been dreaming of Europe (as I tend to do), and hopefully I can get back there in the next couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, I hear you, lady. I've not taken any sort of long vacation in about the same amount of time, and yeah, funding those trips can definitely be difficult. I hope you get to go visit your grandfather and that you can take a road trip to Cali!

      I think that if I can find a random good deal to Boston or NYC I am going to do it. Thanks for the input! You guys are awesome. :)

      Delete
  3. Vacations are always a great way to relieve yourself of the stress. Being able to enjoy one's free time away from the cynical tasks of the office can do wonders in the future. Have you already thought of your next vacation?

    Robert Wise @ Condos In SteamBoat

    ReplyDelete