Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Burning House.




You all probably know about this blog (and book) already, but I came across The Burning House thanks to this post on SFGirlByBay last week, and I am fascinated. The site features reader-submitted photographs that answer one simple question: If your house was burning, what would you take with you? Scrolling through the photos is alternately amusing and heartbreaking, but more than anything, it's totally addicting. 

For me, the answer to the question—at least right at this moment—is my cats, my Lamby and Kitty (stuffed animals I've had since I was a baby), my cell phone, my wallet, my computer, a journal and my grandmother's yearbooks,  but I'd love to hear from you, too: What would you take with you if your house was burning?

All photos via The Burning House

4 comments:

  1. Some of them are fascinating, but others are baffling. Nail polish? Would someone really take nail polish with them? I mean come on! And jewelry, unless it's a wedding ring or has very special significant...but just a pair of earrings or a sweater that you happen to love, would you really dig it out of your dresser or jewelry box if your house was on fire? It's an interesting concept, and I guess the point is just to put together a grouping of things you really love. I'd grab my purse and our wedding album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do think a lot of these photos are submitted and published based on aesthetics. ;) Reading the descriptions is interesting, though. I love the ones with the pets, too.

      Delete
  2. I love this site too! Here's a few things that I know I'd take:
    My blankey from childhood, a set of my favorite photo-booth shots with A from my birthday a few years back with A, a tea cup from my grandmother's collection, my grandfather's funeral prayer card, my favorite necklace gifted when I was a baby, and our three stuffed animal chimps. Plus, some essentials like laptop, camera, phone.

    Glad you brought this up - Was nice to think about these things :)

    www.leanerbythelake.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site has such fun pictures! I would make sure to grad my external hard drive that has all of my pictures on it and my Mr. That's all I need. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete