Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Buttered toast with honey.


Sadly, there was no brioche or orange gingerbread with cream cheese frosting to be made this weekend. No, after attending a fun benefit on Friday night (to which I got to wear a black sparkly dress I'd been hoarding for a year), I came home and discovered that my ears and throat were in a lot of pain, and I spent Saturday morning feeling super-congested, nauseated for a period of time and then, finally, just exhausted. The idea of trying to leave the house was totally overwhelming, so I didn't; instead, I let my little cat Zadie snuggle with me (she's a good nurse), slept for hours and ate a lot of toast and tea.

I love toast when I'm sick because it reminds me of my mom; whenever my brother and I weren't feeling well growing up, she'd stick a couple slices of bread in the toaster, let them get brown, then lightly butter them, cut them into strips and serve them to us. Comfort food at its best, I say.

So I did much the same this weekend, only at some point I was inspired to add a drizzle of honey to the buttered toast, and I don't know if it's just my fuzzy head talking or what, but you guys, it was so delicious. The crunchiness of the toasted bread, the creaminess of the butter and the sweet smoothness of the honey are perfect together, and I know the last thing you need is a recipe for toast, of all things, but you should try this. Really. And not just when you're sick.

Photo: Dimity Jones for Simply Breakfast

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were sick! But it is fun to lay low and snuggle and eat comfort food from time to time. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, isn't it? Saturday was awful, but every night this week I've been trying to come straight home from work and just relax and drink tea. It has been nice. :) xoxo

      Delete